Contact Us Today 708-460-8888


Corporate Transparency Act - Myths and Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Mona O'Connor | Jan 30, 2024 | 0 Comments

Myths and Frequently Asked Questions

 Myth #1: The Corporate Transparency Act applies only to big businesses.

A reporting company (an entity that is required to submit certain information to the US Department of the Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN)) is a corporation, limited liability company (LLC), or other similar entity that was created by filing a document with the secretary of state or a similar office under the laws of a state, Indian tribe, or foreign country that is registered to do business within the United States.

Many business regulations apply only to large businesses, but the CTA specifically targets smaller entities. If you own a small business entity such as an LLC or family limited partnership you may be subject to this act unless your business falls within one of the stated exemptions, which are primarily applicable to industries that are already heavily regulated. Your business may also be exempt if it employs more than 20 full-time employees, filed a return showing more than $5 million in gross receipts or sales, and has a physical office located within the United States.

Myth #2: The information in the filings will be a matter of public record.

At present, FinCEN intends to collect the information and maintain the database for use by multiple government agencies. The information is deemed confidential, and FinCEN can only disclose the information upon receiving a valid request from certain state or federal agencies. Those who engage in the unauthorized disclosure of this information may be subject to penalties.

Question #1: What is the penalty if I do not comply with the Corporate Transparency Act?

According to the CTA, willful failure to comply or providing false or fraudulent information can result in a penalty of up to $500 per day, with a maximum penalty of $10,000 or imprisonment for up to two years, or both.

Question #2: What do I need to do if I move, and how long do I have?

If you are deemed to be a beneficial owner of a reporting company, you must submit an updated report that includes your new address within 30 days of the change in your address. A beneficial owner who changes their name must also submit an updated report within 30 days of the name change.

For a PDF version, please click here or visit the “Resources” tab from our website.

About the Author

Mona O'Connor

Mona L. O'Connor joined the firm in 2008 and is currently a partner with O'Connor Law Offices. She is a J.D., C.P.A. and her primary areas of practice include estate planning and trust administration.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today for Legal Help

If you need to plan for your family’s future or you find yourself in court, you need the best. Time to give us a call. We guarantee you excellent customer service, a relaxed atmosphere and personalized attention. Schedule your appointment today.

Office Location

10751 W. 165th St.
Suite 101
Orland Park, IL 60467

708-460-8887 (fax)
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 8:30am - 5:00pm